Saturday, July 25, 2015

Those Who Can't Make...Buy! Even Frugal Fairy Gardeners

I am pretty crafty. Not quite like the girl in the Beastie Boys song, but I can make a lot of different things. Often, when I fall in love with something I see online I can figure out how to make a reasonably similar version fused with my own unique style. However, there are some things I just can’t make. But really want.

One of the craft mediums I refuse to try is polymer clay. For a couple of silly reasons and one sad fact.

One, I am a perfectionist and it would be maddening to be unable to make perfect Oreo cookies or three tier extravagantly decorated cakes. Have you seen what people create out of polymer clay? Simply amazing. Just take a second and search miniature food on Etsy. See what I mean? AMAZING. And adorable.

Two,  this seems like a very expensive craft.

Three, my oven doesn’t work. So terrible right? Even if I invested and began spending inordinate amounts of time playing with clay, I just couldn’t do it at home. And quite honestly, I’d probably be baking a cobbler or garlic bread instead.

So when I come across adorable Fairy Garden delights I can’t make or live without, I definitely buy!

I am a little picky about what I buy or else I might drop some serious cash and worry about rent the following month. Recently I invested in a couple of impractical, adorable food stuffs for my fairies.

Another Etsy search query I recommend if you’re perusing for miniature food is miniature food jewelry. Tweens seem to love sporting mini food accents. Most of these accents are the perfect size for your Fairy Garden and crafted from polymer clay so they will weather the elements perfectly. I found a couple of food jewelry baubles I loved and contacted the seller to see if they could make me a custom item without the jewelry hardware. All of the sellers were able to fulfill my desires and even offered to knock the price down since I didn’t need a chain or earring posts!

Felicia from Oh Lucky Charm creates the most delicious and genuine looking desserts. Her gooey cupcakes and rainbow colored birthday cakes will make you drool! I spotted a grilled cheese necklace charm with toasty looking bread and melted cheese oozing from the middle that I just had to have. 

Photo courtesy of the Oh Lucky Charm Etsy shop.

I also decided I could not live without this plate of s’mores.

Photo courtesy of the Oh Lucky Charm Etsy shop.

I have a little fire pit with a bowl of marshmallows and toasting sticks propped beside a pair of chairs. This plate of s’mores was the perfect finishing touch for the area.

Ashley’s Etsy shop IncredInedible features mouth-watering savory delights like tacos, corn dogs, olives and waffles. She also has the most realistic looking miniature pumpkin pie necklace. I don’t even like pumpkin pie and I found myself needing to buy it. Just look at that crumbly crust.

Photo courtesy of the IncredInedible Etsy shop.

So, if you come across a few cute items you can’t make on your own, pick a few favorites and indulge yourself. You will not regret it!

*One bonus fairy food frugal idea, kids are also very into rubber Japanese erasers that you can take apart and put back together. Some of them are the perfect scale for a Fairy Garden. For less than a dollar you can score a cute, outdoor-safe cake or pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment